Acute Bronchitis Treatment & Medication
Acute bronchitis is a common condition characterized by a persistent cough, often lasting 1-3 weeks. Most cases of acute bronchitis go away on their own. We recommend rest, increased fluid intake, a cough suppressant and/or a pain reliever. A humidifier or steam may also help. Because viruses cause most cases, antibiotics are not generally used.
What Causes Acute Bronchitis?
It’s often preceded by upper respiratory tract infection or the common cold caused by a respiratory virus and occasionally by a bacterial infection.
When To Consult A Doctor (Callondoc)
- Coughing up mucus that may be yellow or green
- Runny and stuffy nose starting a few days before the chest congestion
- Feeling run-down or tired
- Sore ribs from prolonged periods of coughing
- Not being able to be as active
- Wheezing or a whistling sound while breathing
- If your symptoms persist.
- Fever (low-grade)
We do NOT treat patients experiencing high fever, chest pain, shortness of breath or difficulty breathing